Image Text and Trims
All non bleed images and text should be kept at least 5mm from the trim to ensure trim tolerances are maintained.
Solid black areas should be made up of 60% Cyan, 50% Magenta, 50% Yellow and 100% Black to give a strong deep colour.
Page creep will occur on booklet jobs. To help with finishing all page numbers, non bleed images and text should be kept at least 10mm from the trims. We advise you to allocate a 5mm bleed on all booklet jobs.
Fold panels for A4-DL should be set from left to right 97-100-100 (outside) and 100-100-97 (inside). Supplied PDF artwork always remains the responsibility of the customer. Morningside Printers & Graphics will not accept responsibility for errors due to out of specification files.
Standard Product Sizes
- Business Cards - 90 x 55mm, 90 x 50mm or 90 x 45mm
- DL - 210 x 99mm
- 2DL - 210 x 198mm
- A6 - 148 x 105mm
- A5 - 210 x 148mm
- A4 - 210 x 297mm
- A3 - 420 x 297mm
- A2 - 594 x 420mm
- A1 - 840 x 594mm
Pre Press Guidelines
Acrobat Distiller settings and InDesign templates for standard products are available from our Prepress department.
Please use PDF Version 1.4.
Supply multiple page PDF with 1 up artwork on each page.
Use CMYK not RGB. OVERPRINTS MUST BE TURNED OFF.
Supply with crop marks and 3mm minimum bleed.
Ensure artwork is centered in document.
Text and non-bleed images should be kept 5mm from trims.
All fonts must be embedded, or you can outline fonts before creating a PDF to avoid issues.
Graphic/Images elements checklist
Bitmaps images supplied at 300dpi.
CMYK images supplied (no RGB, LAB, PMS colours).
Combined colour ink density should not exceed 300%.
No ICC colour profiles will be used.
We strongly recommend that a flight checking application is used to check the integrity of the PDF prior to sending to Morningside Printers & Graphics.
Storage of Files
PDF's will remain on our system for 1 week following printing. Morningside Printers & Graphics does not undertake archiving and retrieval of customer data.
Morningside Printers & Graphics will only accept the following formats as final artwork. Artwork which does not adhere to these specifications will incur artwork charges.
- Adobe Acrobat (PDF) version XI or below (PDF)
- Morningside Printer & Graphics accepts files in PC or MAC format.
- All images must be saved in CMYK at 300dpi.
- Make sure all colours are nominated correctly as PMS or CMYK.
- OVERPRINTS MUST BE TURNED OFF
- All artwork must include a minimum of 3mm bleed and crop marks.
- Where possible, please convert your text to outlines or curves.
- Please supply us with all relevant files, including fonts and links (graphics)
SCODIX - Design for the Best Results.
SCODIX looks best when you follow some basic design fundamentals where often LESS can be MORE when adding SCODIX to your design.
There are a few rules to follow to achieve the best result when applying SCODIX.
SCODIX - Trim Areas
SCODIX High Build cannot bleed outside of trim area. (Please leave 3mm from the edge of the SCODIX application to the product trim area)
SCODIX - Score Lines
SCODIX High Build cannot be applied over the score/fold areas of a Presentation Folder. (Please leave 3mm from the SCODIX application to the product score/fold area)
Supplying Final Artwork
When supplying final artwork, SCODIX artwork should be supplied as an extra PDF set as 100% Spot Colour named ‘Scodix’.
Things to Avoid
For the best effects, avoid applying SCODIX to thin lines, small text or finely detailed artwork.
How to Setup Your Files
- Open your artwork in Indesign
- Create a new layer for the SCODIX separation
- Select the elements you wish to enhance and duplicate them to the new SCODIX layer
- Create a new colour swatch and name it 'Scodix'
- Select colour type "Spot Colour", and convert all SCODIX elements to this spot colour
- SCODIX elements are all set to 100% Opacity
- Export this SCODIX layer as a single PDF with all trim marks